Locate the Source
When you spot moisture, the first thing you need to do is find out the source of where its coming from. Most of the time, the area directly above the stain is the best place to start. If you can’t see anything on your roof that looks like a problem, you could have a pipe thats leaking. There could also be moisture running along some pipes or trusses that will come from a source somewhere else and drop onto your ceiling.
Are they water stains? There are other causes for stained ceilings including:
- Bad or old caulking.
- AC ductwork thats faulty.
- Water pans or piping that needs to be repaired.
- Bad insulation, which could cause pipes to leak.
- Older pipes that might need to be replaced or repaired.
- Cracks in stucco walls if you have them.
- Faulty flashing around chimneys and pipes.