Get a Professional Roof Drains Inspection
For your roof to drain properly, you need 3 things – proper placement of drains, if needed, the proper slope on your roof and the size of the drains, which on a sloped roof would mean gutters. Also, you’ll need to consider the amount of rainfall you would normally encounter during storms and how intense the rainfall is during those storms.
What gutters and drains do is detour the water falling from your roof away from the exterior walls and foundation. If you have gutters, its critical that the materials they’re made of, how they’re installed and the maintenance you perform on them are needed to prevent damage to your roof. Blocked gutters or drains can cause water to back up below the membrane or pool on the surface in areas that could take a long time to dry out. You never want standing water on any roof surface.
Here are a few things to think about when considering the type of drainage you’ll incorporate into your roof:
- For gutters, aluminum and steel are the most common material choices – they’re durable and resist cracking, bending and corrosion. These are 3 of the most common cases of damage to a roof. Corrosion, cracking and bending of gutters are one of the most common causes of damage to roofs.
- Proper maintenance and regular inspections of your downspouts and and gutters is crucial to keep water flowing away from your property. The downspouts that carry that water away tend to clog and back up and must be kept clear. Proper maintenance and regular checks of the downspouts and gutters is essential to keep water flowing smoothly away from your building.
- One of the most common causes of roof damage is a clogged gutter. Most gutters are open-top, which tend to accumulate debris (leaves, sticks) along with nesting birds and rodents. When your gutter gets blocked, water stops flowing and spills over the edge in the wrong places. The pooling and spilling water can soak your roofing material and make it rot. Locations where the gutters or downspouts are blocked also make a great place for mold, mildew and algae to thrive and grow.
- Proper installation of the roof drain and gutters is also extremely important. If they aren’t installed right, they will almost certainly fail. they have to be installed with the roof’s pitch and angles taken into account. You’ll have damage to your roof line, or the gutters will crack or pull away from your property if they aren’t installed properly.
- If you have a commercial building, where and how many roof drains or gutters you place is critical. Here are some guidelines:. Drains should be located no more than 100 feet apart and no more than 50 feet from the roof’s perimeter.
- Your city or state surely has building codes that need to be checked before you make any changes or additions to your building.
A Roof Repair Contractor You Can Trust
If you think your drainage apparatus isn’t working the way it should, you should call a professional roofing contractor to inspect it as soon as possible. they will be able to pinpoint any problems for you and should be knowledgeable about the type of drainage thats appropriate for your property and the areas applicable building codes.
Mikku and Sons Roofing has been serving the greater Phoenix area for over 16 years. When you need a professional, experienced and trustworthy roof repair contractor for your next roofing project, give us a call at (623) 465-1068.